North Sikkim is one of the operational areas and the center of Sikkim also called flower valley, glutted with approximately 500 waterfalls, glaciers with majestically snow covered Himalayas, and hot springs. Altogether these things make North Sikkim ‘a heaven in earth’. North has the spectacles of nature along with the ample beauty of flora and fauna, the tour starts from Gangtok via Kabi Lungtsok, Phodong, Mangan, Singhik, and Chungthang and then goes to the either away to the flower valley of Yumthang or Gurudongmar, there on the way lies Singhba Rhododendron Sanctuary and Kanchenjunga National Park. In between the month of March to May the spectacular beauty of this place reaches its height when a massive variety of alpine flora blossoming in the hills and valleys.
Few places of interest in North Sikkim are as follows:
- Kabi Lungchok: It is 17kms away from Gangtok on the North Sikkim Highway
- Phodong Monastry: It is one of the most six major monasteries with its unique architectural design located 38kms from Gangtok and 4kms beyond Phodong
- Yumthang: At an elevation of 11800 ft and 140kms from Gangtok is a utopia for nature lovers with a large variety of alpine flowers and rhododendrons. A hot spring of the left bank of Lachung Chu named Yumthang ‘Tsa-Chu’or is popular for its therapeutic properties and healing power.
- Lachen: This place is situated at an altitude of 2750mts .It is approx 130 Kms from Gangtok with its monastery located on the top of the village surrounding hills and country side
- Thangu: It is at an altitude of 14000ft and 3hrs drive from Lachen a village where tourists accommodate before proceeding to Guru-dongmar Lake or Muguthang
- Gurudongmar Lake: This Lake is considered as one of the holy lakes of this State by Hindus as well as Buddhist which is milky in color throughout the year and is believed that Guru Padmasambhava had touched this lake while visiting Tibet from this area